Saturday, October 2, 2010

Dragonflies

I spent most of my childhood in my grandparents’ farm. My parents were not really farmers but back then, they enjoyed gardening and raising animals like pigs, chicken, goats etc.

Me and my younger brother Al would pass the day either by watching TV operated by my dad’s Motolite or spend the afternoon in the meadow, role playing as ‘the Bioman’ (yours truly was yellow four).

As a kid, staying in the farm was a bore for me – too quiet and there was nothing to do except to watch the farm animals, the rice fields and the sky.

One time, I finally complained to my mom with my sulkiest face.

“I want to go home!”

“Then go,” She simply replied.

My mom was a very wise woman. She knew how to deal with my tantrums.

I knew she was kidding but I went on anyway. I’d thought that I surprise my parents when they find me in town ahead of them.

Remembering the route my dad used to take, I started hiking for home. I was walking for about fifteen minutes when I decided to leave the main road and take a short cut.

That was a bad idea. Soon I was lost.

Trying to find my way back, I came across a clearing with some very tall grasses. It was then that I heard a rustling from somewhere. I panicked and started running, thinking of snakes.

I finally reached an unfamiliar road and there where people. I didn’t bother to ask directions though. For a twelve year old girl, I was still afraid of strangers. One of them – a woman, tried to question me, asking my name. But I just shook my head and ran again.

Mercifully with lots of prayers, I did find my way back.

I was still resting when my brother Al approached me. He was so furious. He was looking all over for me and it was time to go home.

I think, I didn’t tell anyone of my little miss adventure that day. My actions had been stupid and I was too ashamed to admit it. I was just so glad that I got back in one piece.

On our way home as we rode on my dad’s jeep, we saw hundreds of dragonflies over the rice fields by the road. It was an amazing sight – colorful groups fluttering in every direction.

I thought of my dad, my mom and my brother and felt very blessed that moment.

That was 23 years ago.

My poem ‘Dragonflies’ was in memory of my father who died December 28, 2009.

I was visiting my grandparents’ farm for some errands when the place just struck me. I guess, simply because, still missing my father.